Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Baptism, Ferry Ride, and Rice Harvest in Kampong Cham

"We had two baptisms this week."

"Many of the people we meet with live in small wooden houses on stilts. Sometimes we meet under the house and sometimes we meet in the house itself. The floor of the house in made of bamboo strips and we can see through to under the house. The foundation is the wooden stilts, just placed on the ground. And many times when we are teaching lessons, sweat is literally dripping down my face and it is just crazy. I am getting better with the language, one word at a time. I usually understand everything that goes on during lessons."
 
"On P-day and after district meeting we all eat together as a zone. It is usually super fun. We eat at this place called prambei bowen= 8000. Which means 8000 riel. And everything there is 8000 riel which is two bucks--pretty good. It is a lot like Bangkok grill in Orem. There is unlimited rice. And we order a dish. My favorite is this glass noodles, with pork and peanuts, but I also get pineapple pork stuff, and sometimes stir fried veggie, and sometimes soup. Honestly, sometimes I don't know what I eat. But that is all good."


 "This week a miracle happened, we went to the island (the one with the bamboo bridge) but with the rainy season the bridge is down and we have to take the ferry. We were coming back after a lesson and we made it on the last ferry back by less than a minute. It had actually already started to leave but came back to get us. But probably a minute later we would have missed it and been stuck on the island. God is really watching over me--remember the story of the people that brought me my wallet? And I am sure there are other things that I don't even realize. But God is taking care of me. It reminded me of the impression I received in the MTC, 'I am thy God and will still give thee aid' God is with me and is protecting me, that I know."

"It has rained almost every day this week. Remember I said it wasn't that muddy, well I take it back; this week has been super muddy, and lots of rain."


Waiting for the ferry--the only way to the island during the rainy season.
The ferry!
On the ferry, crossing the Mekong.


Harvesting rice with the Kampong Cham Zone.









No comments:

Post a Comment